Multi-gig speeds will be among fastest in the region
Comcast announced today that its latest Xfinity 10G Network upgrade is rolling out to homes and businesses across greater Atlanta. With these improvements, Comcast is deploying new download speeds of up to 2 gigabits-per-second (Gbps), and up to 5x-to-10x faster upload speeds in Atlanta.
Additionally, the region now has the foundational next-generation network in place to begin introducing new symmetrical multi-gigabit Internet options later this year that can be delivered across Comcast’s existing networks with less cost.
To date, Atlanta joins more than 40 markets across Comcast service areas that have implemented network improvements, including Boston, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Miami, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City, Seattle, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C. The full deployment of these technical capabilities will reach more than 50 million homes and businesses nationally by 2025. In addition to fast speeds, DOCSIS 4.0 technologies will deliver even greater reliability and capacity to power multiple data-intensive applications.
“Comcast is advancing the future of broadband for our residents and businesses,” said Samir Abdullahi, Director, Select Fulton, Department of Economic Development. “Comcast’s investments will keep more Atlantans securely connected to the Internet, and ensure they have the technology today to meet the needs of tomorrow.”
“Today’s announcement is a true technology milestone for our customers across the region,” said Jason Gumbs, regional SVP at Comcast. “Our investment delivers some of the fastest Internet speeds to homes and businesses available in the marketplace.”
Powered by the Xfinity 10G Network
Comcast’s network and Internet experience are powering homes and businesses today and into the future with:
- Ultimate Capacity: Xfinity customers connect nearly 1 billion devices across the company’s network annually. The Xfinity 10G Network with the next-generation Xfinity Gateway delivers the most advanced WiFi technology, carrying three times more bandwidth to power streaming, gaming, videoconferencing, and more, simultaneously.
- Fastest Internet: More than a third of Xfinity Internet customers subscribe to gigabit speed products, and symmetrical gig speeds are planned for the first homes later this year.
- Unprecedented Coverage: The latest Xfinity Gateway provides a more reliable connection throughout the home. Customers can get wall-to-wall WiFi coverage with a powerful Xfinity WiFi Boost Pod that extends coverage to hard-to-reach areas, with plans for an offering of increased support for in-home WiFi through a “boost guarantee” later this year.
- Most Reliable Connection: Comcast is scaling the nation’s largest and most reliable network – the Xfinity 10G Network – that passes 60 million homes and business and counting. The company plans to launch a new device that is “storm-ready” with cellular and battery backup to help keep customers connected even when the power goes out.
- Ultra-Low Lag: The Xfinity 10G Network and the latest Xfinity Gateway are a powerful combination that deliver ultra-low latency, also known as low lag, for those moments when response times matter most, like with video games, a fast-growing category with Xfinity households averaging more than one gaming console per home.
Recently, Comcast accelerated the transformation of its network to a cloud-based architecture that is fully prepared for the robust 10G technologies and DOCSIS 4.0. This network architecture is enabling Comcast to deliver symmetrical, multi-gigabit speeds to both residential and business customers, services that technically limited fixed wireless providers will not be able to deliver. Comcast’s ongoing network evolution also furthers its commitment to provide a cleaner, greener Internet by doubling network energy efficiency by 2030.