First Market in Alabama to Receive Network Enhancements
Multi-gig Speeds will be Among the Fastest in the Region
Comcast is accelerating its multi-gig deployment and announced that its latest Xfinity 10G Network upgrade has been launched to homes and businesses in Huntsville and Comcast’s North Alabama markets. Huntsville is the first community in Alabama to receive these network enhancements, which will benefit customers at all speed-tiers and price points. Huntsville now has the foundational next-generation network in place to begin deploying DOCSIS 4.0, setting the stage for the introduction of new symmetrical multi-gigabit internet options that can be delivered across Comcast’s existing networks with less cost.
To date, and ahead of schedule, Huntsville is joining several markets across Comcast’s service areas that have implemented network improvements including, Boston, Denver, Houston, Miami, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and others. The full deployment of these technical capabilities will reach more than 50 million homes and businesses by 2025.
With these improvements, Comcast is rolling out new download speeds up to 2 gigabits-per-second (Gbps) and up to 5x-to-10x faster upload speeds in Huntsville. In addition to fast speeds, DOCSIS 4.0 technologies will deliver even greater reliability and capacity to power multiple data-intensive applications.
“Comcast continues to anticipate customer demand,” said Jason Gumbs, Regional SVP at Comcast. “Through our focus on network innovation, we are excited to begin deploying enhanced, ultra-fast and reliable speed tiers to customers in Huntsville and keep more Alabamians connected with the speeds and technology they need.”
Comcast has invested nearly $134 million in technology and infrastructure improvements in its Alabama network over the last three years.
Powered by the Xfinity 10G Network
Comcast’s next-generation network and Internet experience are powering homes today and into the future:
- Ultimate Capacity: Xfinity customers connect nearly 1 billion devices across the company’s network annually. The Xfinity 10G Network with the next-generation Xfinity gateways deliver the most advanced WiFi technology carrying three times more bandwidth to power streaming, gaming, videoconferencing, and more, simultaneously.
- Fastest Internet: More than a third of Xfinity Internet customers subscribe to gigabit speed products, and Ookla rated Xfinity the fastest internet provider at the end of 2022*. Symmetrical gig speeds to the first homes have already begun.
- Unprecedented Coverage: The latest Xfinity Gateway provides a more reliable connection throughout the home. Customers can get wall-to-wall WiFi coverage with a powerful xFi Pod that extends coverage to hard-to-reach areas, with plans for an offering of increased support for in-home WiFi through a “boost guarantee” later this year.
- Most Reliable Connection: Comcast is scaling the nation’s largest and most reliable network – the Xfinity 10G Network – that passes 60 million homes and businesses and counting. The company plans to launch a new device that is “storm-ready” with cellular and battery backup to help keep customers connected even when the power goes out.
- Ultra-Low Lag: The Xfinity 10G Network and the latest xFi Gateway are a powerful combination that deliver ultra-low latency, also known as low lag, for those moments when response times matter most like video games, a fast-growing category with Xfinity households averaging more than one gaming console per home.
Recently, Comcast accelerated the transformation of its network to a cloud-based architecture that is fully prepared for robust 10G technologies and DOCSIS 4.0. This network architecture will enable Comcast to deliver symmetrical, multi-gigabit speeds to both residential and business customers, services that technically limited fixed wireless providers will not be able to deliver. Comcast’s ongoing network evolution also furthers its commitment to provide a cleaner, greener Internet by doubling network energy efficiency by 2030. Comcast estimates this will avoid the equivalent amount of electricity needed to power a half a million homes for a year.
The significant advances Comcast has made over the past 24 months, including several world firsts, coupled with one of the first WiFi 6E gateways and powerful Xfinity Pod WiFi extenders, are delivering a revolutionary connectivity experience that is powering Comcast homes. At this critical time in the nation’s broadband deployment, Comcast’s continued advancement of new 10G technologies will position it as the clear leader for years to come.