Underserved residents and businesses now connected with critical, high-speed broadband services
(Dauphin Island, AL): September 30, 2021 – Comcast today announced it has expanded and upgraded its broadband network in Dauphin Island, Alabama – a community located on the Gulf of Mexico in Mobile County. Approximately 2,500 homes and businesses now have access to Comcast’s full suite of Xfinity services, including a wide range of internet options from $9.95 per month Internet Essentials and ultra-fast Gigabit Plus internet to service for businesses.
The network expansion is part of a joint investment between Comcast and the Alabama Broadband Accessibility Fund, which is administered by the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs (ADECA). Comcast was recently awarded an $820,750 grant and provided more than $1.5 million in private funding to deliver service to underserved residents and businesses.
“I am so pleased to see Comcast’s expansion to the Town of Dauphin Island,” said Mayor Jeff Collier. “Connectivity is an absolute necessity for our residents and businesses, and Comcast is ensuring we meet their needs. I appreciate Governor Kay Ivey and ADECA Director Ken Boswell for making this investment, and I thank Comcast for providing these essential services.”
Jason Gumbs, Regional SVP at Comcast, added, “We are proud to continue our broadband investments in Alabama. Staying connected, particularly for those in underserved communities, is imperative. We are honored to be part of this critical project, and proud to connect even more Alabama residents and businesses.”
In addition to Comcast’s traditional services, residential customers in Dauphin Island will have access to the following:
- Xfinity xFi, allowing high-speed Internet customers to personalize and control their in-home Wi-Fi experience;
- xFi Advanced Security, a digital cybersecurity service to protect all the devices connected to the home network;
- Xfinity Mobile service
- Xfinity WiFi hotspots, giving customers access to more than 19 million hotspots across the country to connect while on the go;
- Xfinity Flex, a simplified streaming solution for Xfinity internet-only customers with thousands of free shows and movies;
- The X1 entertainment platform and award-winning voice remote;
- Xfinity Stream, offering thousands of Xfinity On Demand movies and shows, and access to the DVR library; and
- Xfinity Home, a total home security and automation solution.
Businesses in Dauphin Island will also have access to Comcast Business internet, voice, and video services.
This expansion provides access to Comcast’s Internet Essentials program, the nation’s largest and most successful broadband adoption initiative for low-income families. Internet Essentials provides low-cost broadband service for $9.95 a month, digital literacy training and discounted computers.
Nationally, over the past five years and across Comcast’s service area, the company has quadrupled its overall network capacity and doubled its fiber miles; deployed gigabit speeds to more homes than any other Internet Service Provider; upgraded all of its speed tiers; and rolled out an entirely new class of gateways – the xFi Gateway and the xFi Advanced Gateway, which are designed for higher speeds and blanket most homes with Wi-Fi coverage.
In the last three years, Comcast has invested nearly $152 million in technology and infrastructure improvements in its Alabama network.