Nearly 8,000 homes and businesses in rural Tallapoosa, Mount Zion, Waco, and Whitesburg to benefit from massive technology upgrade
(ATLANTA) – June 12, 2020 – Comcast today announced it has begun work to enhance and expand the reach of its network serving Tallapoosa, Mount Zion, Waco and Whitesburg, four mostly rural communities in Georgia located about 50 miles west of Atlanta. Within one year, the nearly $9 million investment will bring Comcast’s entire suite of Xfinity services, including a wide range of internet options from $9.95 per month Internet Essentials to the super-fast 1-Gigabit speed broadband service, to almost 8,000 previously unserved homes and businesses in the region.
“I want to applaud Comcast’s continued focus on supporting residents and businesses in rural Georgia,” said Speaker David Ralston (R-Blue Ridge) of the Georgia House of Representatives. “Comcast’s technology investment in Haralson and Carroll Counties will strengthen these communities and create new opportunities by supporting workforce development, education, and quality of life.”
“Comcast’s rural initiative will provide critical infrastructure support for key communities,” said Georgia Lt. Governor Geoff Duncan. “This announcement supports Georgia’s mission to be the technology capitol of the East Coast. I am grateful for Comcast’s commitment to continue to focus on expanding broadband access in rural Georgia.”
This expansion provides families with access to Comcast’s Internet Essentials program, the nation’s largest and most successful broadband adoption initiative for low-income families.
Since 2011, Internet Essentials has helped connect 480,000 low-income individuals to the internet in Georgia.
“Today’s announcement truly underscores our commitment to bridging the digital divide in rural Georgia,” said Jason Gumbs, Regional SVP at Comcast. “During these challenging times, it is clear just how critical broadband connectivity has become. We are proud to make this important investment and look forward to building on this momentum in other rural communities across the state.”
In addition to Comcast’s internet, TV and landline phone products, residential customers in these areas will also have access to the following Xfinity services:
- xFi, allowing high-speed internet customers to personalize and control their in-home Wi-Fi experience;
- xFi Advanced Security, a digital cybersecurity service to protect all of the devices connected to the home network;
- Five lines of Xfinity Mobile service included with their internet service, with no activation or line access fees;
- Xfinity WiFi hotspots, giving customers access to more than 19 million hotspots across the country to connect while on the go;
- Xfinity Flex, a simplified streaming solution for Xfinity internet-only customers with thousands of free shows and movies;
- The X1 entertainment platform and award-winning voice remote;
- Xfinity Stream, offering thousands of Xfinity On Demand movies and shows, and access to the DVR library; and
- Xfinity Home, a total home security and automation solution.
Businesses will also have access to a full suite of Comcast Business internet, voice, and video services, including Ethernet, Internet, Wi-Fi, Voice, TV and Managed Enterprise Solutions to help organizations of all sizes.
Comcast has a strong history in Georgia with more than 4,500 employees and $2.9 billion invested in its technology and infrastructure since 2011 to build the fastest, most reliable online experience. Over the last few years in metro Atlanta, Comcast has expanded its multi-gigabit network for the business community, launched Gigabit Pro, a 2-gigabit residential internet service, and deployed a 1-gigabit service for residents and businesses.