Leaders and Achievers Scholarship Program Recognizes Students’ Achievements Both in and Out of the Classroom
MEMPHIS, TENN., June 12, 2018 – Comcast NBCUniversal today announced that it has awarded more than $30,000 in scholarships for the 2018-19 school year to 25 Memphis area students as part of its annual Leaders and Achievers® Scholarship Program. The program, funded by the Comcast Foundation, is a one-time, $1,000 scholarship awarded to the best and brightest high school seniors for their community service, academic performance and leadership skills. Since 2001, more than $28 million has been awarded to nearly 27,000 high school seniors across the country as part of the Leaders and Achievers Program.
“Our Leaders and Achievers Scholarship winners are exceptional students who are committed to academic excellence and community service,” said Comcast Regional SVP, Doug Guthrie. “We are honored to recognize their achievements and excited to support them as they continue their educational journeys.”
Comcast, joined by State Representative Karen Camper, recognized the students at a special event held at the Memphis Botanic Garden today. One student, Raven Richmond, a resident of Memphis and student at Immaculate Conception High School, was selected to receive a $5,000 Comcast Founders Scholarship – instituted in honor of Ralph J. Roberts, Founder and Chairman Emeritus of Comcast Corporation.
“Our communities are proud of these accomplished high school seniors and we thank Comcast for honoring them for their academic, community and leadership achievements,” said State Representative Karen Camper.
The Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship Program provides scholarships to students who strive to achieve their full potential, who are catalysts for positive change in their communities, who are involved in their schools, and who serve as models for their fellow students. The philosophy behind the program is to give young people every opportunity to prepare for the future and to engage them in their communities. The program also demonstrates the importance of civic involvement, and the value placed on civic involvement by the business community. Visit here to learn more.
West Tennessee Leaders and Achievers Scholarship Winners
- Sarolyn Fox (Whitehaven High School)
- Abegale Costilla (Craigmont High School)
- Kaitlyn Chang (Overton High School)
- Vinson Alexander (Memphis Central High School)
- Raven Richmond (Immaculate Conception High School)
- Julency Myrtil (Bolton High School)
- Shanique Strickland (Germantown High School)
- Ronni Williams (Raleigh Egypt High School)
- Quanesia Milam (The Soulsville Charter School)
- Erin Jewell (St. Mary’s Episcopal School)
- Shlomo Bosin (Cooper Yeshiva High School for Boys)
- Devin Foster (Power Center Academy High School)
- Antonio Sims (Collierville High School)
- Amber Lamberty (Bartlett High School)
- Abigail Sellers (St. Agnes Academy)
- Madeline Matheson (St. Benedict at Auburndale)
- Emma Johnson (Evangelical Christian School)
- Matthew Temple (Memphis University School)
- Justin Du (White Station High School)
- Lily Gray (Home Life Academy)
- Meira Braverman (Goldie Margolin High School for Girls)
- Kayla Fontaine (Kirby High School)
- Alisa Austin (Earle High School)
- Bryce Waller (West Memphis Christian Academy)
- Madalyn Messick (Center Hill High School)
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation’s largest video, high-speed internet, and phone providers to residential customers under the XFINITY brand, and also provides these services to businesses. It also provides wireless and security and automation services to residential customers under the XFINITY brand. NBCUniversal operates news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit https://comca.st/2JDbVzl for more information.
About the Comcast Foundation
The Comcast Foundation was founded by Comcast Corporation in June 1999 to provide charitable support to qualified non-profit organizations. The Foundation’s primary mission is to empower communities to thrive by providing access to technology, relevant digital skills and training, and inspiring volunteerism, service and leadership. The Foundation invests in programs intended to have a positive, sustainable impact on the communities we serve. Since its inception, the Comcast Foundation has donated $220 million to organizations in the communities nationwide that Comcast serves. More information about how Comcast supports the communities it serves available at https://comca.st/2JCoTO0.