120,000 LOW-INCOME TENNESSEANS HAVE CROSSED THE DIGITAL DIVIDE THROUGH COMCAST’S INTERNET ESSENTIALS PROGRAM
Company Again Increases Program’s Internet Speed, Offers Free Access to Millions of Xfinity WiFi Hotspots, and Expands Low-Income Senior Citizen Pilot Program
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (August 15, 2017) — Today, Comcast announced that its acclaimed Internet Essentials program, the nation’s largest and most comprehensive high-speed internet adoption program, has connected more than four million low-income Americans, about one million households, to high-speed internet service at home. According to a six-year progress report the company released today, Comcast’s Internet Essentials program has helped connect 30,000 Tennessee households – or 120,000 low-income Tennesseans.
The company also announced three key program enhancements:
- For the fourth time in six years, Comcast will increase the program’s Internet service speeds, this time from 10/1 Mbps to up to 15/2 Mbps. Doing so will enable more family members to connect more devices to the Internet so they can all be online simultaneously.
- To help family members connect to the Internet on the go and save money on their wireless bills, Internet Essentials customers will now enjoy 40 hours of free out of home WiFi access per month to the company’s growing network of 18 million Xfinity WiFi hotspots.
- Comcast is also expanding its pilot program for low-income senior citizens from five cities and metropolitan areas to twelve.
These enhancements are being offered for no additional cost to either new or existing customers and reaffirm Comcast’s commitment to bringing the transformative power of the Internet into more low-income homes.
“The success of Comcast’s Internet Essentials program has been through the united efforts of our dedicated employees, our external advocates including business, education and non-profit partners, and the local families who recognize the importance of the internet,” said Comcast’s Regional SVP Doug Guthrie. “We’re proud of the ongoing progress of Internet Essentials and that so many Tennesseans have been able to take advantage of this program.”
Tennessee Metro Area Connections
- MEMPHIS: 12,000 households connected
- NASHVILLE: 11,300 households connected
- KNOXVILLE: 4,400 households connected
- CHATTANOOGA: 3,000 households connected
How Internet Essentials Connected 4 Million Americans
Since 2011, Comcast has invested nearly $350 million in cash and in-kind support to fund digital literacy initiatives nationally, reaching nearly 5 million people through our nonprofit community partners. Through June 2017, Comcast has:
- Dedicated more than $1.8 million in grants to create Internet Essentials Learning Zones, a network of nonprofit partners focused on enhancing public Internet access and increasing family-focused digital literacy training in Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, Fresno, and Seattle, among others.
- Broadcast 10 million public service announcements, valued at nearly $120 million.
- Provided more than 65,000 subsidized computers at less than $150 each.
- Distributed nearly 55 million pieces of Internet Essentials program material.
- Welcomed more than 9 million visitors to the Internet Essentials English and Spanish websites, and its Online Learning Center.
- Fielded more than 5.6 million phone calls to our Internet Essentials call center.
- Offered Internet Essentials in more than 55,000 schools in more than 5,000 school districts in 39 states and the District of Columbia.
- Partnered with 9,000 community-based organizations, government agencies, and federal, state, and local elected officials to help address the digital divide and enhance digital literacy.
- 98 percent of families are using their Internet service for schoolwork.
- 93 percent of families feel their Internet service had a positive impact on their child’s grades.
- 62 percent feel their Internet service helped someone in the household locate or obtain employment.
- More than 90 percent of Internet Essentials customers are satisfied with the program.
- 96% of Internet Essentials customers they would recommend the program to friends and family.
About Internet Essentials
Internet Essentials from Comcast is the nation’s largest and most comprehensive high-speed Internet adoption program for low-income Americans. It provides low-cost high-speed Internet service for $9.95 a month plus tax; the option to purchase an Internet-ready computer for under $150; and multiple options to access free digital literacy training in print, online and in person. For more information, or to apply for the program, visit www.InternetEssentials.com or call 1-855-846-8376. Spanish-only speakers should call 1-855-765-6995.